Passionate About Life | Family

Saturday, June 03, 2006

+ Parents | 3rd Physiotherapy

Tan Tock Seng Hospital Physiotherapy Traction Room
Left home so early this morning to be in time to fetch Mom and Dad at their home in Woodlands and get to Tan Tock Seng Hospital Medical Centre by 8:15am.

Her appointment was the earliest since there was no later time on Saturdays.

It was her 3rd time today, it should progress to a better condition, but she had an attack of leg cramps last night that made the two of them so tired to wake up this morning.

Mom was in pain that she could not sleep well, and Dad was awake massaging her legs to ease it. They looked really spent and was quiet as they dozed off during the cab ride to the hospital.

We were 10 minutes late reaching there and had to wait a little over 5 minutes before it was her turn to have her routine traction treatment.

Tan Tok Seng Hospital Mom's Traction Treatment
This time, Dad was allowed into the therapy room for the first time since there were not many patients this morning.

He saw Mom going through the 15 minutes traction treatment after the physiotherapist did a physical examination of Mom based on her complaint of pain last night.

The traction intensity was reduced by 2 Kg today, to 26 Kg pull for 20 seconds and 10 Kg for 10 seconds alternately for 15 minutes. A little straining for Mom this time as compared to the previous two sessions since her spine was still sore from last night's attack.

Instead of the scheduled stationary bicycle exercise, the physiotherapist replaced it with a heat pad for 10 minutes.

And like routine, since it was still quite early in the day, we headed for the Kopi Tiam food court for branch - breakfast and lunch in one.

Tan Tock Seng Hospital Atrium SkylightLike me who cannot pass on Tom Yam, today I got to know my parents current favourite foods - Mom is crazy over Spaghetti Bolognese, while Dad likes Yong Tau Foo. I had Fish and Chips.

Since the day was still young, we decided to go to IKEA, Mom's favourite window shopping.

It was not window shopping after all. Mom bought kitchen wares, laundry basket and a carpet. I bought metal racks to extend the display at Wify's shop.

Fortunately all the shopping items were able to fit into one cab as Mom's wheelchair was one large item to fit as well.

All seemed good until we noticed we left the carpet was unaccounted for. We must have left it somewhere between the payment counter, Burger King when we stopped to take a drink break and the inside the cab boot. Sigh...

Tan Tock Seng Hospital Atrium Skylight
I somehow dozed off on Mom's comfy couch for about an hour. By the time I woke up, lots of food and fruits was prepared for me. I was stuffed full!

Knowing that I will be meeting them, Mom and Dad cooked Durian Serawa and packed in two plastic take-away containers for me to take home; Wify's and my son's favourite snack.

Dad helped me all the way down to the side of the road where I got a cab to Wify's shop directly from my parents home.

Dad pointed out to me the Rambutan trees that lined their block. The trees are full of green hairy fruits waiting to ripe into bright red, juicy fruits.

Unfortunately, the fruits are not allowed to be harvest by the general public, but only RC members who will distribute them to old folks homes and orphanages.

It is always bitter-sweet to bid them good bye. Waving goodbye as my cab drove off.

1 Comments:

  • YOu are a good son Imran. I love how you take care of your parents and take them to the Dr. appointments. I love how they take care of you too by making food for you. That is how my parents are with me too.
    I'm thankful for family.

    By Blogger wandi, at 12:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home