Passionate About Life | Family

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

+ Parents | Dad's Home!

Received a call on my cellphone quite early in the morning. It was barely passed 9:00am and I was busy at work.

Heard a frail yet happy voice at the other end of the call. I was my Dad telling me that the house doctor who checked on him in his morning round informed him that he was well enough to be discharged.

Dad's going home!

He could not wait to tell me more. He had a good and long walk around the wards' corridor before he was told of the good news. I think I felt as happy as he was when I received the news from him.

Applied for an afternoon day off and counted the hours to noon, could not wait to fetch him home to Mom. She would be so pleased.
Reached the hospital about 15 minutes by taxi from AMK where my office is. Saw him happy talking, panting a little, but happily talking to the other patient, Mr Omar who has a very bad case of gout attacks and was hospitalized for more than 3 weeks.

When he saw me entering, he seemed proud introducing me to Mr. Omar.

With zest, I admit I packed his belongings from his bed No. 3 locker and drawer, and dashed to the Nurse's Station. There they were expecting me and preparing for the paperwork for his discharge.

Dad changed to his own clothing. Off with the sad-looking light blue pajamas! His face lit. I was excited for him inside.

The staff nurse came in first and took the canular or "plug" they call it, off his frail right arm. She was cheering him on, saying that he was a strong-willed person to quickly recover from a major operation. They were thrilled for him as well.

He was full of smiles and expressed his gratitude numerous times to her and the other nurses who greeted him when they came in and out of the room.

The nurses were telling me that Dad was the most pleasant patient with hardly no complaints of any kind. He did not give them any difficulty or problems at all. He was one of their favourite patient.

Then again, they may say this to all patient that was going to be discharged, but this time I truely believe them. Dad is so obliging and has high tolerance for anything.

My brother-in-law fetched us and drove us to our parents' home. Greeted by my youngest sister and my niece at the void deck with a Mom's wheelchair.

Mom greeted Dad at the doorstep of their home. Her face showed her happiness that Dad's home. The home is again complete. I can only guess how much happiness both of them were feeling at that very moment. They have been together, never separated, for almost 55 years.

Dad smiled quietly sitting in the living room, and with Mom's cane, he went straight to his favourite place, his Garden. There, his Hibiscus welcomed him home with big bright yellow flowers blooming and swaying in the wind. He sat there for more than 10 minutes. That corner of the home always brings him relief and gives him tranquility.

He went to the kitchen, his other favourite spot, he missed doing chores in his kitchen too.

All that excitement made him tired. He retreated to his bedroom a nap. I could see his calm face as he shut his eyes from the dining table where I was sitting with my sister and niece.

After some coaching Mom on the medicines for him to take in the mornings and evenings, we left. Felt sad and helpless not able to stay longer, or stay with them to help out around the house.

Mom bid farewell. I could see her face saddened, but definitely relieved that much of the unpleasant things have passed the family by, and Dad was finally home.

We love both of you, Mom and Dad!

1 Comments:

  • Very sweet blog. Best wishes for your dads recovery.

    By Blogger Jules, at 2:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home